Mount Washington & the Presidential Range, White Mountains, NH
Mount Washington offers a challenging and fun winter trip for all technical abilities for mountaineering and ice climbing - and sometimes some challenging conditions. The experience is highly-dependant on the weather... Sunny days can bring a quick pleasurable, experience, while harsh weather can make you run for cover. It is a good test of one's winter mountaineering skills: the area is known for the worst weather in the world, and many use this as a training for trips to Alaska and other cold regions.
On this three and a half day adventure - We'll pick you up at the Poughkeepsie Train Station on Thursday afternoon and drive up to NH, staying at a hotel that evening, then head up on the mountain for three days and two nights, driving back Sunday evening. On the mountain we'll cover winter mountaineering skills and do a winter ascent of Mount Washington.
We provide transportation, lodging, mountain meals and any technical equipment you need.
Rates are based on a two person minimum. A private rate is available upon request.
Included with the program are:
Ground Transportation from/to Poughkeepsie Train Station
Lodging for Thursday evening (double occupancy)
Any technical equipment needed for the trip
Mount Washington trips are offered throughout the year - rock climbing mainly in summer; ice climbing from December through March, and most Presidential Traverse happen in March when there is significant snow and longer days.
Our cancellation policy is designed as job security for our guides.
Last-minute cancellations mean a day of work lost. We work hard to have some of the most experienced guides in the region and this policy gives them some reliability in their career.
Your day may be cancelled by you, or the weather. Our cancellation policy for local programs (Gunks & Catskills) requires notification at least 7 days prior to your day for rescheduling or at least 14 days prior to your day for a refund. If there are any variations to this Cancellation policy, they will be listed in the Special Information section of the service description you are interested in. Here is our base policy:
- If the day is cancelled due to inclement weather*, the day can be rescheduled, or the deposit will be refunded.
- Confirmed cancellations for local events in the Shawangunks or Catskills received at least 14 days prior to the date reserved will have the reservation fee returned or credited to another day.
- Cancellations for local events within 7 to 14 days of the reserved date will receive credit toward another day.
- Cancellations for local events within 1-7 days forfeit their reservation fee.
- Cancellations less than 24 hours or No-Shows are held to full payment.
- The final balance is dependent upon the size of your party that you originally scheduled. We base the amount of guides for the day on a 4:1 ratio. If your party size decreases to a number resulting in less guides needed, please let us know as soon as possible - if its less than 7 days before your scheduled day, we will need to charge you to cover the extra guide(s) scheduled. If your party size increases, we need to know as soon as possible to be able to schedule another guide and will adjust the rates according to the new amount of participants.
- Deposits or payments for trips to other locations (other than the Shawangunks or Catskills ), and payments for gift certificates or our Frequent Climber Card are non-refundable. For all of our away trips, we highly recommend you purchase Travel Insurance.
The weather changes daily - please contact us the evening before your scheduled day if you have concerns about the weather.
*Weather cancellations are up to the guide to decide, not the registrant.
- If we experience bad weather locally in the Shawangunk, Catskills, the day will be pro-rated to full (four or more hours) or half-day (up to four hours) rates. Bad weather is always a possibility in the mountains, so there is no rescheduling or refunds for remote or multi-day trips when we are out there in the field.
- Although we can plan to climb a specific route or peak, no guarantees are made (in the mountains, anything can happen). Our purpose is to use our judgment and experience to share with you a rewarding experience, both up and down. If an unsafe situation arises, the guide makes the final decision and may turn around. There will be no refunds or rescheduling. However, if time allows, while we are on the trip another attempt may be arranged.